The Crestone Eagle • August, 2021 Coloradans urged to reduce wildfire risk —Colorado State Forest Service State and federal agencies that manage wildfires and forests are urging residents to join in efforts to reduce wildfire...Read More
The Crestone Eagle • July, 2021 A dry summer & western fires mean smoky skies for the San...Read More
Fire restrictions lifted on public lands in the SLV MONTE VISTA, Colo. October 28, 2020 – Effective 12:00 p.m. on Wednesday, Oct 28, 2020 fire restrictions will be removed for all lands managed by the Rio Grande National Forest....Read More
The Crestone Eagle • October, 2020 House destroyed in fire in the Baca Grants near Crestone by...Read More
The Crestone Eagle • May, 2020 Local fire ban now in force: No fires, no smoking outdoors by Carolina Brown Both Saguache County and the U.S. Forest Service have declared strict fire bans, based on weather conditions and the...Read More
CRESTONE, Colo. – The Saguache Ranger District of the Rio Grande National Forest announced today the decision to proceed with the proposed thinning project east of Crestone along the northern boundary of the Baca subdivision....Read More
According to a statement from the Saguache County Sheriff’s Office (SCSO), a Colorado State Patrol dispatcher received a report at 4:19pm Tuesday, October 15 of a structure fire in Moffat. The fire spread quickly, engulfing four buildings and setting fire to vehicles. The cause of the blaze, which included an explosion that could be seen from Casita Park (approximately 7 miles away), is under investigation. As I write this, the fire is still smoldering in places.Read More
As part of Great Sand Dunes National Park’s hazardous fuels reduction efforts, fire managers from...Read More
A lightning strike September 8 ignited the Decker Fire nine miles south of Salida. Smoke and sometimes flames can be seen from Hwy. 50 and US 285. The fire has been allowed to burn in the area where the US Forest Service reports there is 80% tree mortality due to beetle kill and blow downs. The fire has not generated evacuations or closures. As we go to press it has burned around nine hundred acres. There are 107 personnel managing the blaze.Read More
In a strong show of support for the Crestone Emergency Services District, voters decided against...Read More
SAGUACHE COUNTY—Today Saguache County Sheriff Mike Norris released this announcement: Cancellation...Read More
Whether you’re a homeowner or renter:
• It’s wise to take photos of any high-value items and save the photos in cloud storage or a thumb drive that’s stored away from the home.
• Check with your insurance company to see if your coverage is limited by “special limits,” because many policies put limits on items like artwork, jewelry, musical instruments, antiques, firearms, business-related computers, etc.
Renter’s insurance is a small investment in protecting renters from the devastating impact of a major fire.
Defensible space around your house
To protect your house and the community, create a Clear Zone 15-30 feet around buildings and decks.
• Prune or remove trees that touch or overhang the house, deck or outbuildings.
• Reduce ladder fuels (dead branches, etc.) on the ground and up to about four feet high. Dispose of cut materials in the Baca mitigation pit.
• Clear vegetation and flammables from around propane tanks.
• Keep other stored fuels (gasoline, kerosene) away from structures.
• Remove trash and flammable debris from around the house and outbuildings.
• Store firewood away from the house, preferably uphill from any building.
• Mow or cut grass to less than 6 inches high.
Let’s all pitch in to have a safe summer as the hot, dry season approaches.
- Alternative/Green Building
- Archived Posts
- Birdwatching, Wildlife & Outdoors
- Book Review
- Breaking News
- Climate & Environment
- Community Herbalism
- Crestone Area History
- Crestone Energy Fair
- Crestonians Around The World
- Current Edition
- Front Cover
- Gardening, Farming & Ranching
- Hiking, Backcountry & Wilderness
- Living on the Earth
- Local Desitinations
- Local News
- Politics, Elections & POA
- Previous Editions
- Skies Over Crestone
- Special Features
- Spiritual Centers
- Code Compliance Officer
- Town of Crestone Request for Proposal Municipal Court Judge Services
- Bookkeeping and office help needed
- Alternative Cargiver Needed
- Medicare Open Enrollment
- Baca Grande Water and Sanitation District is accepting applications to fill a fulltime position for a Utility Maintenance Worker.
- Moffat Consolidated School District is looking for an energetic and team playing food service employee.
- Moffat Consolidated School District #2 has an open position for Building Manager.
- NOTICE OF 2021 SAGUACHE COUNTY COORDINATED ELECTION
- AVISO DE ELECCIONES COORDINADAS DE 2021 DEL CONDADO DE SAGUACHE
- PRUEBA DE LÓGICA Y EXACTITUD (LAT) PARA LAS ELECCIONES COORDINADAS 6 DE OCTUBRE DE 2021
- Public Notice 2021 COORDINATED ELECTION LAT (Logic & Accuracy Test) OCTOBER 6, 2021