The Crestone Eagle • October, 2020 House destroyed in fire in the Baca Grants near Crestone by...Read More
Whether you’re a homeowner or renter:
• It’s wise to take photos of any high-value items and save the photos in cloud storage or a thumb drive that’s stored away from the home.
• Check with your insurance company to see if your coverage is limited by “special limits,” because many policies put limits on items like artwork, jewelry, musical instruments, antiques, firearms, business-related computers, etc.
Renter’s insurance is a small investment in protecting renters from the devastating impact of a major fire.
Defensible space around your house
To protect your house and the community, create a Clear Zone 15-30 feet around buildings and decks.
• Prune or remove trees that touch or overhang the house, deck or outbuildings.
• Reduce ladder fuels (dead branches, etc.) on the ground and up to about four feet high. Dispose of cut materials in the Baca mitigation pit.
• Clear vegetation and flammables from around propane tanks.
• Keep other stored fuels (gasoline, kerosene) away from structures.
• Remove trash and flammable debris from around the house and outbuildings.
• Store firewood away from the house, preferably uphill from any building.
• Mow or cut grass to less than 6 inches high.
Let’s all pitch in to have a safe summer as the hot, dry season approaches.
The Crestone Eagle • May, 2018 Fires in Crestone history by Mary Lowers As summer approaches, we are living with a stage two fire alert in Saguache County. Crestone and the Baca Grande are drier than even the “old timers” have...Read More
The Crestone Eagle • May, 2020 Local fire ban now in force: No fires, no smoking outdoors by Carolina Brown Both Saguache County and the U.S. Forest Service have declared strict fire bans, based on weather conditions and the...Read More
Nat’l forest increases fire restrictions USDA Forest Service officials are providing recreation opportunities where possible, while keeping employees, the public, and our communities safe from the virus. We are also working to...Read More
The Crestone Eagle, July 2006: Mato Vega Fire–too close for comfort! by Kimberly Bryant, Administrator BGVFD A wild fire that started June 18 on La Veta pass, just east of Ft. Garland, brought smoke to the San Luis Valley as it...Read More
CRESTONE, Colo. – The Saguache Ranger District of the Rio Grande National Forest announced today the decision to proceed with the proposed thinning project east of Crestone along the northern boundary of the Baca subdivision....Read More
According to a statement from the Saguache County Sheriff’s Office (SCSO), a Colorado State Patrol dispatcher received a report at 4:19pm Tuesday, October 15 of a structure fire in Moffat. The fire spread quickly, engulfing four buildings and setting fire to vehicles. The cause of the blaze, which included an explosion that could be seen from Casita Park (approximately 7 miles away), is under investigation. As I write this, the fire is still smoldering in places.Read More
A lightning strike September 8 ignited the Decker Fire nine miles south of Salida. Smoke and sometimes flames can be seen from Hwy. 50 and US 285. The fire has been allowed to burn in the area where the US Forest Service reports there is 80% tree mortality due to beetle kill and blow downs. The fire has not generated evacuations or closures. As we go to press it has burned around nine hundred acres. There are 107 personnel managing the blaze.Read More
Tuesday, April 3 8am. No official word from the Saguache County Sheriff yet, but overnight snows of 1” or more and continuing light snowfall and lack of wind indicate that the fire event on San Isabel Creek is nearly over. ...Read More
- Alternative/Green Building
- Archived Posts
- Birdwatching, Wildlife & Outdoors
- Breaking News
- Climate & Environment
- Community Herbalism
- Crestone Area History
- Crestone Energy Fair
- Crestonians Around The World
- Current Edition
- Front Cover
- Gardening, Farming & Ranching
- Hiking, Backcountry & Wilderness
- Hot Topics
- Living on the Earth
- Local News
- Politics, Elections & POA
- Previous Editions
- Skies Over Crestone
- Spiritual Centers
- Colorado Secretary of State Jena Griswold to Launch Misinformation Initiative
- Is My Vote Safe?
- COVID in Crestone
- Saguache County has experienced a positive COVID 19 case within county staff…
- Woman seeking home for rent
- Spirited Conversation Group
- Skies Over Crestone: October 2020
- Want to be a member of a great community board? ScSEED update & board members needed
- Election questions & answers
- Ballot drop boxes are being placed around Saguache County
- Thousands of birds drop dead across the southwest in perplexing die-off
- A hidden jewel in the San Luis Valley: The La Garita Church, Rosary Walk & Carnero Creek Cemetery