Bill Ellzey, longtime Crestone resident and founder of the Shumei International Artist Symposium program, will be showing his work at the Shumei Gallery in Crestone for the month of January and February. A symposium with Bill will be held on Sunday, January 19, 3-5pm. A reception will follow.
Bill picked up his first camera in 1965, at age 20, not knowing then that photography would become his profession. Bill states, “Since then camera work has taken me to parts of the world I only knew from textbooks, magazines and television, completing assignments and teaching photographers the art and techniques of the medium. Work from India, China, Australia, Japan, Mexico, Alaska, Egypt, Ireland, Bhutan, Zambia, Chilean Patagonia and the American West has been published here and abroad. The images have appeared in magazines, books, calendars, newspapers, catalogs, annual reports. Some personal work is in galleries and private collections. After moving from my attic darkroom on the family ranch in Texas to Telluride, Colorado in 1978, I directed Western Photo Workshops for eleven years. In 1995 I moved to the San Luis Valley, took up residence in a travel trailer near Crestone, Colorado and started building a strawbale house. During the 4 years it took to complete the house I watched the advent of digital photography render my design for a traditional darkroom obsolete. In 1999 I moved in. I continue to teach privately and for a few notable photo programs, and organize occasional photography tours overseas.”
Come visit with Bill and learn more about his work. This event is free to the public. Please visit www.shumeicrestone.org or call 256-5284 for more information. Please call the office to confirm the office is open.
• Morning Aarati, Haidakhandi Universal Ashram, 7-8am, 256-4108, www.babajiashram.org.
The Ashram will not be open for overnight guests, kitchen use or meals until further notice. We will miss having all of you here. We are going to try to record some of the ceremonies so you can view them from home on YouTube. Also if you would like to pick an auspicious day or days to sponsor a fire ceremony or puja, this would also keep you connected. There are more details in our latest newsletter at www.babajiashram.org. You can email us at email@example.com or call 719-256-4108. Thank you.
• Open meditation & prayers 8:45-10:30am in Vajra Vidya Retreat Center Shrine Room. All are welcome. 256-5539. www.vajravidya.com
• Drop in Meditation at Choying Dzong (Sitting and Walking), 2281 Happy Day OL, 10am – 1pm
• Sutra Reading: Life story of the Buddha, Yeshe Khorlo, 2-3pm
• Dorje Trolo Practice, White Jewel Mountain Healing Center, 2pm
• AA, 7pm. Currently only video conference meetings. Call Cheryl 303-667-9459 or John 719-429-8450 for info.
• Al-Anon, 1pm. Currently only video conference meetings. Call 970-218-6099 or 719-298-9133 for info.
• Continuing Ashtanga Yoga, Mysore Style Shakti Sharanam, 5-6:45pm by donation, shaktisharanam.com, 256-5668
• NA, Currently only video conference meetings. Call 970-309-0710 for info.
• Yoga Fundamentals & Refinments, Shakti Sharanam, 8:30- 10am by donation, shaktisharanam.com, 256-5668
• Food Bank, next to Crestone Mercantile, 10am-noon
• AA, noon. Currently only video conference meetings. Call Cheryl 303-667-9459 or John 719-429-8450 for info.
• Continuing Ashtanga Yoga, Mysore Style Shakti Sharanam, 5pm-6:45pm, by donation, shaktisharanam.com, 256-5668
• NA, 9am. Currently only video conference meetings. Call 970-309-0710 for info.
• Feel Free Ministries free meal, noon-4pm, Little Shepherd Community Center