Bill Ellzey, longtime Crestone resident and founder of the Shumei International Artist Symposium program, will be showing his work at the Shumei Gallery in Crestone for the month of January and February. A symposium with Bill will be held on Sunday, January 19, 3-5pm. A reception will follow.
Bill picked up his first camera in 1965, at age 20, not knowing then that photography would become his profession. Bill states, “Since then camera work has taken me to parts of the world I only knew from textbooks, magazines and television, completing assignments and teaching photographers the art and techniques of the medium. Work from India, China, Australia, Japan, Mexico, Alaska, Egypt, Ireland, Bhutan, Zambia, Chilean Patagonia and the American West has been published here and abroad. The images have appeared in magazines, books, calendars, newspapers, catalogs, annual reports. Some personal work is in galleries and private collections. After moving from my attic darkroom on the family ranch in Texas to Telluride, Colorado in 1978, I directed Western Photo Workshops for eleven years. In 1995 I moved to the San Luis Valley, took up residence in a travel trailer near Crestone, Colorado and started building a strawbale house. During the 4 years it took to complete the house I watched the advent of digital photography render my design for a traditional darkroom obsolete. In 1999 I moved in. I continue to teach privately and for a few notable photo programs, and organize occasional photography tours overseas.”
Come visit with Bill and learn more about his work. This event is free to the public. Please visit www.shumeicrestone.org or call 256-5284 for more information. Please call the office to confirm the office is open.
• Morning Aarati, Haidakhandi Universal Ashram, 7-8am, 256-4108, www.babajiashram.org.
• Jyorei, Shumei Sanctuary, please be seated by 7:50am and 5:50pm, 256-5248
• Tours, gallery & Jyorei, Shumei, 9am-5pm, 256-5284
• Open meditation & prayers 8:45-10:30am in Vajra Vidya Retreat Center Shrine Room. All are welcome. 256-5539. www.vajravidya.com
• Tours, Temple & Gift Shop – Haidakhandi Universal Ashram, 256-4108, firstname.lastname@example.org, www.babajiashram.org.
• Evening Aarati, Haidakhandi Universal Ashram, 6-7pm. Chanting in Sanskirt and Hindi. All are welcome. 256-4108, email@example.com, www.babajiashram.org
• Sunday mass at Nada Hermitage 9-10am, 256-4778
• Sunday Service Crestone Baptist Church, Christian Service Traditional/Contemporary 10am-noon
• Drop in Meditation at Choying Dzong (Sitting and Walking), 2281 Happy Day OL, 10am – 1pm
• Sutra Reading: Life story of the Buddha, Yeshe Khorlo, 2-3pm
• Dorje Trolo Practice, White Jewel Mountain Healing Center, 2pm
• AA meeting (open, discussion), Crestone Town Hall, Alder St. north of Galena Ave, 7pm
• Gentle Yoga with Cynthia, Little Shepherd Fellowship Hall, www.RadiantFlow.co, 10am
• Al-Anon meeting, Little Shepherd Church, Alder St. north of Galena Ave., 1pm
• Continuing Ashtanga Yoga, Mysore Style Shakti Sharanam, 5-6:45pm by donation, shaktisharanam.com, 256-5668
• NA meeting (open), Little Shepherd Church, Alder St. north of Galena Ave., 7:30pm
• Yoga Fundamentals & Refinments, Shakti Sharanam, 8:30- 10am by donation, shaktisharanam.com, 256-5668
• Food Bank, next to Crestone Mercantile, 10am-noon
• Wednesday night Bible study, Crestone Baptist Church 6-7:30pm
• AA meeting (open, Book Study) Crestone Baptist Church, Rd. T west of the kiosk, noon
• Continuing Ashtanga Yoga, Mysore Style Shakti Sharanam, 5pm-6:45pm, by donation, shaktisharanam.com, 256-5668
• NA meeting (open, Step Study), Little Shepherd Church, Alder St. north of Galena Ave., 9am
• Feel Free Ministries free meal, noon-4pm, Little Shepherd Community Center