This October 12 and 13 Crestoneartists.com presents its eighth annual open studio tour with twenty-one participating artists. Friday evening, October 11, everyone is invited to attend a free preview reception at the Crestone Charter School from 5 to 7. Then the actual tour begins at noon both Saturday and Sunday and goes until 5 both days. Brochures with maps may be picked up at various Crestone locations including the Artisans Gallery or on-line at www.crestoneartists.com.
This year’s tour includes an array of visions and approaches. For those folks seeking beauty they can touch, wrap themselves in, walk across, walk through, hang or handle, Jeff Beard’s fine art figurative sculptures and Gaudí-inspired studio, Pat Tullos’ glorious quilts, Kathy Strathearn’s sumptuous tapestry weavings, Adam Kinney’s exquisite hand-crafted wooden creations, Josefina Gordh’s luminous hand printed silks and Kimberlee Best’s stained glass designs all offer a welcoming destination. For wit, whimsy and delight, the studios of David Nelson, Al Sutherland and his late wife Julie, and Stephen Futral are a must.
For explorations in the art and science of color and its enormous potential for mood, wisdom and narrative suggestion, the work of Jennifer Thomson and Jandi Namba will call.
And you won’t want to miss the artists inspired by other cultures, from the indigenous cultures that evoke the Native American images in the work of S.D. Youngwolf and Estella de Colores to the skill and discipline of Chinese and Japanese painting that inform the graceful work of watercolorist Leigha Nicole.
Nor will you want to miss the work of mixed media artist Allison Wonderland, painter Emmy Savage and photographer Peter Ismert who draw their inspiration directly from the natural world, from Allison’s sculptures and drawings crafted from native grasses and soils and resonant with nature’s spirit, to Emmy’s silent landscapes to Peter’s arresting images of the animals native to our Colorado geography.
And finally, artists Noah Baen, Jane Kwan, Maureen Eich Van Walleghan, and Donald Calledare will challenge you to participate in their subconscious imagery and imaginations.
This is an amazing group of artists who enrich our community by their work and presence. Come out and enjoy their hospitality and be inspired to see the world in new ways.
• Morning Aarati, Haidakhandi Universal Ashram, 7-8am, 256-4108, www.babajiashram.org.
• Jyorei, Shumei Sanctuary, please be seated by 7:50am and 5:50pm, 256-5248
• Tours, gallery & Jyorei, Shumei, 9am-5pm, 256-5284
• Open meditation & prayers 9-10am in Vajra Vidya Retreat Center Shrine Room. All are welcome. 256-5539. www.vajravidya.com
• Tours, Temple & Gift Shop – Haidakhandi Universal Ashram, 256-4108, firstname.lastname@example.org, www.babajiashram.org.
• Evening Aarati, Haidakhandi Universal Ashram, 6-7pm. Chanting in Sanskirt and Hindi. All are welcome. 256-4108, email@example.com, www.babajiashram.org
• Sunday masses at Nada Hermitage 9-10am, 256-4778
• Sunday Service Crestone Baptist Church, 10am-noon
• AA meeting (open, discussion), Crestone Town Hall, Alder St. north of Galena Ave, 7pm
• Drop in Meditation at Choying Dzong (Sitting and Walking), 2281 Happy Day OL, 10am – 1pm
• Al-Anon meeting, Little Shepherd Church, Alder St. north of Galena Ave., 1pm
• Continuing Ashtanga Yoga, Mysore Style Shakti Sharanam, 5-6:45pm by donation, shaktisharanam.com, 256-5668
• NA meeting (open), Little Shepherd Church, Alder St. north of Galena Ave., 7:30pm
• Yoga Fundamentals & Refinments, Shakti Sharanam, 8:30- 10am by donation, shaktisharanam.com, 256-5668
• AA meeting (open, Book Study) Crestone Baptist Church, Rd. T west of the kiosk, noon
• Continuing Ashtanga Yoga, Mysore Style Shakti Sharanam, 5pm-6:45pm, by donation, shaktisharanam.com, 256-5668
• NA meeting (open, Step Study), Little Shepherd Church, Alder St. north of Galena Ave., 9am
• Feel Free Ministries free meal, noon-4pm, Little Shepherd Community Center