If you’re a member of one of the many spiritual communities here, or if you have an unaffiliated spiritual practice of your own, you no doubt have some sense about what happens at death.
Perhaps you believe that death is a gateway to the bliss of heaven or the terrors of the bardo. You might feel that death is a new beginning rather than a definitive end. Or maybe you believe, in the words of Deepak Chopra, that death is a “creative opportunity to reinvent yourself.”
But what about preparing for your own death? Do you find yourself mired in procrastination, resistance, or denial when it comes to facing this inevitable fact of life?
You know it’s time—it’s past time, in fact—to create your last will and testament, to establish your medical directives, to let loved ones and friends know what to do with your body and your possessions, and to make peace spiritually with your regrets and unresolved relationships so that you don’t drag those karmic residues into your afterlife journey.
You want to get it done. But you never get around to it.
Fear not—help is on the way.
Join me and other community members on Saturday, January 11, at the Crestone Baptist Church fellowship hall for an 8-week course called “LeaveLight: Rest in Peace Before You Die,” a journey through holistic end-of-life planning. The course is sponsored by the Crestone End of Life Project’s educational outreach arm, Informed Final Choices, and is not affiliated with any religious or spiritual group.
The course itself will take place from 10:30am to 12:30pm each Saturday from Jan. 11 through February 29. Tuition is $40 but no one will be turned away for lack of funds.
LeaveLight will not only help you tackle the nuts and bolts of end-of-life care, such as wills and advance directives; it will also give you a supportive group space to reflect on your life journey, tie up unfinished emotional business with others, and plan the details of your departure from this earth so that loved ones can navigate your transition with ease—so you can rest in peace before you die.
Contact Informed Final Choices for more information: 719-588-7415 or firstname.lastname@example.org
• Morning Aarati, Haidakhandi Universal Ashram, 7-8am, 256-4108, www.babajiashram.org.
The Ashram will not be open for overnight guests, kitchen use or meals until further notice. We will miss having all of you here. We are going to try to record some of the ceremonies so you can view them from home on YouTube. Also if you would like to pick an auspicious day or days to sponsor a fire ceremony or puja, this would also keep you connected. There are more details in our latest newsletter at www.babajiashram.org. You can email us at email@example.com or call 719-256-4108. Thank you.
• Open meditation & prayers 8:45-10:30am in Vajra Vidya Retreat Center Shrine Room. All are welcome. 256-5539. www.vajravidya.com
• Drop in Meditation at Choying Dzong (Sitting and Walking), 2281 Happy Day OL, 10am – 1pm
• Sutra Reading: Life story of the Buddha, Yeshe Khorlo, 2-3pm
• Dorje Trolo Practice, White Jewel Mountain Healing Center, 2pm
• AA, 7pm. Currently only video conference meetings. Call Cheryl 303-667-9459 or John 719-429-8450 for info.
• Al-Anon, 1pm. Currently only video conference meetings. Call 970-218-6099 or 719-298-9133 for info.
• Continuing Ashtanga Yoga, Mysore Style Shakti Sharanam, 5-6:45pm by donation, shaktisharanam.com, 256-5668
• NA, Currently only video conference meetings. Call 970-309-0710 for info.
• Yoga Fundamentals & Refinments, Shakti Sharanam, 8:30- 10am by donation, shaktisharanam.com, 256-5668
• Food Bank, next to Crestone Mercantile, 10am-noon
• AA, noon. Currently only video conference meetings. Call Cheryl 303-667-9459 or John 719-429-8450 for info.
• Continuing Ashtanga Yoga, Mysore Style Shakti Sharanam, 5pm-6:45pm, by donation, shaktisharanam.com, 256-5668
• NA, 9am. Currently only video conference meetings. Call 970-309-0710 for info.
• Feel Free Ministries free meal, noon-4pm, Little Shepherd Community Center