On June 27 a community meeting was held at the Crestone Charter School to provide information and receive comments on the proposed “Safe Routes to School” Project, a trail to connect the Charter School with Camino Baca Grande. The meeting was conducted by County Commissioner Jason Anderson and attended by 13 persons, along with representatives from partnering organizations. The meeting was cordial and well received by those attending.
The SRTS Trail Project was initiated by the County Commissioners in conjunction with the Eastern San Luis Valley Trails Coalition (ESLVTC) and San Luis Valley Great Outdoors (SLV GO!). The County is partnering with the Charter School, POA, and Town, in a unique collaboration to bring improved safety for our kids, greater accessibility for residents, and health advantages for seniors. Colorado Safe Routes to School (SRTS) is a Federal and State-funded program.
Phase 1 of the trail will extend from the Charter School, across Town and POA lands to Camino Baca Grande, and from there south to Baca Grant Way. This 0.6-mile trail is part of a long range multi-phase project that will extend from downtown Crestone to Camino Real (“Two Trees”).
Parent surveys were conducted by the Charter School last year, and 80% of parents cited the absence of sidewalks as the main reason they don’t allow their children to walk or bike to school. Currently there are no sidewalks of any kind, and multiple barriers to biking. The proposed route will take pedestrians and bicyclists off Camino Baca Grande and provide a safe, bikeable shortcut for kids, and a direct connection to downtown. The route will reduce the distance from Camino Baca Grande to the Post Office by a half-mile.
After completion of governmental approvals and environmental studies, an engineering design team will be selected. Design documents will be prepared in 2020, and construction is expected to be completed in 2021. The cost of the project is estimated at $625,000. The County has received an SRTS grant of $500,000, which has a cash match requirement of $125,000. The County will own and maintain the trail when completed, and is contributing $40,000 toward the cash match.
The Eastern San Luis Valley Trails Coalition (ESLVTC) applied for and received a $60,000 grant from the Colorado Health Foundation which will also be contributed toward the cash match. The Charter School will act as fiscal agent for this grant, and is providing a Project Coordinator to oversee implementation of the SRTS education and safety program.
ESLVTC has donated an additional $10,000, and the SLV Council of Governments is providing a grant of $5,000. Altogether $115,000 has been raised, and the remaining $10,000 will be sought from the Crestone-Baca community. Grant applications and legal agreements were prepared by the ESLVTC, with key support from SLV GO! and the Charter School.
The community is cordially invited to the next presentation which will be made at the August 15 POA Meeting at 10am, at the Baca Grande POA Hall. Additional meetings will be scheduled to invite community comments. Please watch for posters and announcements in the Eagle. For further information please contact: Eastern San Luis Valley Trails Coalition (ESLVTC) in care of email@example.com.
• Morning Aarati, Haidakhandi Universal Ashram, 7-8am, 256-4108, www.babajiashram.org.
• Jyorei, Shumei Sanctuary, please be seated by 7:50am and 5:50pm, 256-5248
• Tours, gallery & Jyorei, Shumei, 9am-5pm, 256-5284
• Open meditation & prayers 9-10am in Vajra Vidya Retreat Center Shrine Room. All are welcome. 256-5539. www.vajravidya.com
• Tours, Temple & Gift Shop – Haidakhandi Universal Ashram, 256-4108, firstname.lastname@example.org, www.babajiashram.org.
• Evening Aarati, Haidakhandi Universal Ashram, 6-7pm. Chanting in Sanskirt and Hindi. All are welcome. 256-4108, email@example.com, www.babajiashram.org
• Sunday masses at Nada Hermitage 9-10am, 256-4778
• Sunday Service Crestone Baptist Church, 10am-noon
• AA meeting (open, discussion), Crestone Town Hall, Alder St. north of Galena Ave, 7pm
• Drop in Meditation at Choying Dzong (Sitting and Walking), 2281 Happy Day OL, 10am – 1pm
• Al-Anon meeting, Little Shepherd Church, Alder St. north of Galena Ave., 1pm
• Continuing Ashtanga Yoga, Mysore Style Shakti Sharanam, 5-6:45pm by donation, shaktisharanam.com, 256-5668
• NA meeting (open), Little Shepherd Church, Alder St. north of Galena Ave., 7:30pm
• Yoga Fundamentals & Refinments, Shakti Sharanam, 8:30- 10am by donation, shaktisharanam.com, 256-5668
• AA meeting (open, Book Study) Crestone Baptist Church, Rd. T west of the kiosk, noon
• Continuing Ashtanga Yoga, Mysore Style Shakti Sharanam, 5pm-6:45pm, by donation, shaktisharanam.com, 256-5668
• NA meeting (open, Step Study), Little Shepherd Church, Alder St. north of Galena Ave., 9am
• Feel Free Ministries free meal, noon-4pm, Little Shepherd Community Center