Bach. Beethoven. Chopin. Liszt. Satie. Glass. Shostakovich. These famous composers and more will come to life during Salida Aspen Concert’s six-week summer music festival, running consecutive Saturdays beginning July 6.
“This season is like six weeks of birthday presents,” Salida Aspen Concerts board member Maisie Ramsay said. “Each performance brings together renowned classical musicians and works by the most respected of classical composers.”
Violist Matthew Lipman performs on July 13 and the Pacifica Quartet chamber ensemble on July 20.
The festival’s second half begins with a vocal ensemble from the Aspen Opera Center on July 27, then pianist Simone Dinnerstein on August 3. The festival will close with a performance by classical guitarist Bokyung Byun on August 10.
All performances will be held at the Salida High School Auditorium, except for guitarist Bokyung Byun on August 10, which will be held at Clearview Community Church, 457 Rodeo Road, Buena Vista.
Tickets are $20 for adults. Salida Aspen Concerts encourages family attendance. Adults accompanying a student may purchase a discounted $10 ticket at the door, with kindergarten through 12th grade students admitted free.
Doors open at 6:30pm, followed by a pre-concert talk at 6:45pm. Performance begins at 7:30pm. Tickets and more information are available at www.salidaaspenconcerts.org.
In addition to the concert series, Salida Aspen Concerts has launched a new website and updated its scholarship program and Student Passport outreach initiative.
Salida Aspen Concerts is a community supported, 501(c)3 nonprofit that has brought classical music to Chaffee County for more than 40 years through its longstanding partnership with the Aspen Music Festival and School.
Aspen Music Festival and School allows a selection of its musicians to perform for Salida Aspen Concerts, but does not provide any financial support. Salida Aspen Concerts is funded entirely by ticket sales, individual donations and the generous support of local businesses.
“We depend on dedicated volunteers and magnanimous donors to make our concert series possible,” said Ernest Marquez, Board President of Salida Aspen Concerts. “Donations of any amount help keep us funded.” Donations may be submitted online at www.salidaaspenconcerts.org or mailed to P.O. Box 13, Salida, Colorado 81201. Salida Aspen Concerts also welcomes prospective volunteers. Volunteer inquiries should be submitted to Molly Walker at 719-221-9413.
• Morning Aarati, Haidakhandi Universal Ashram, 7-8am, 256-4108, www.babajiashram.org.
• Jyorei, Shumei Sanctuary, please be seated by 7:50am and 5:50pm, 256-5248
• Tours, gallery & Jyorei, Shumei, 9am-5pm, 256-5284
• Open meditation & prayers 9-10am in Vajra Vidya Retreat Center Shrine Room. All are welcome. 256-5539. www.vajravidya.com
• Tours, Temple & Gift Shop – Haidakhandi Universal Ashram, 256-4108, email@example.com, www.babajiashram.org.
• Evening Aarati, Haidakhandi Universal Ashram, 6-7pm. Chanting in Sanskirt and Hindi. All are welcome. 256-4108, firstname.lastname@example.org, www.babajiashram.org
• Sunday masses at Nada Hermitage 9-10am, 256-4778
• Sunday Service Crestone Baptist Church, 10am-noon
• AA meeting (open, discussion), Crestone Town Hall, Alder St. north of Galena Ave.
• Al-Anon meeting, Little Shepherd Church, Alder St. north of Galena Ave., 1pm
• Continuing Ashtanga Yoga, Mysore Style Shakti Sharanam, 5-6:45pm by donation, shaktisharanam.com, 256-5668
• NA meeting (open), Little Shepherd Church, Alder St. north of Galena Ave., 7:30pm
• Yoga Fundamentals & Refinments, Shakti Sharanam, 8:30- 10am by donation, shaktisharanam.com, 256-5668
• AA meeting (open, Book Study) Crestone Baptist Church, Rd. T west of the kiosk, noon
• Continuing Ashtanga Yoga, Mysore Style Shakti Sharanam, 5pm-6:45pm, by donation, shaktisharanam.com, 256-5668
• NA meeting (open, Step Study), Little Shepherd Church, Alder St. north of Galena Ave., 9am
• Feel Free Ministries free meal, noon-4pm, Little Shepherd Community Center