The Sri Aurobindo Learning Center is privileged to be hosting Debashih Bannerji for a three-lecture series on Sri Aurobindo’s epic poem Savitri this summer. The first lecture will be on Friday, August 23, from 7 to 9pm at Savitri house, 83 Baca Grant Way in Crestone. The subsequent lectures will be held on Saturday, August 24 and Sunday, August 25 from 10 to 12:30pm. These lectures will either be at Savitri House, or in the meditation dome next door, depending on the weather. SALC is requesting a donation of $10 per lecture. You may attend the whole weekend or choose one or two days.
Sri Aurobindo was a prolific writer and great teacher of Vedic wisdom. He did his teaching in the earlier part of the twentieth century, and his work is a remarkable synthesis of Eastern and Western traditions, bringing together the spiritual wisdom of India with a modern, evolutionary perspective. He is the only realized Vedic master to have spoken English as his native tongue, and whose work is in no way diminished by translation.
Savitri is an epic poem by Sri Aurobindo, in which he uses the characters and plot of an ancient Vedic legend to narrate his central teaching of human and cosmic transformation through the power of yoga and divine intervention. It includes a cosmology, an occult mythology and the processes of yoga required to know and fulfill these. It is also an experiment in the poetics of consciousness that Sri Aurobindo theorized in his book The Future Poetry. In this retreat, we will touch on all these aspects of Savitri with a view to a deeper engagement with its powerful offerings.
Debashish Banerji, PhD is a Haridas Chaudhuri Professor of Indian Philosophy and Culture and Doshi Professor of Asian Art at the California Institute of Integral Studies. He is also the program chair in the East-West Psychology department. His knowledge of Sri Aurobindo is scholastically comprehensive and experientially deep. If you’ve been curious about Sri Aurobindo’s teaching, this is an extraordinary opportunity to study his greatest work with a true master.
We hope to see you there. For more information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Morning Aarati, Haidakhandi Universal Ashram, 7-8am, 256-4108, www.babajiashram.org.
• Jyorei, Shumei Sanctuary, please be seated by 7:50am and 5:50pm, 256-5248
• Tours, gallery & Jyorei, Shumei, 9am-5pm, 256-5284
• Open meditation & prayers 9-10am in Vajra Vidya Retreat Center Shrine Room. All are welcome. 256-5539. www.vajravidya.com
• Tours, Temple & Gift Shop – Haidakhandi Universal Ashram, 256-4108, email@example.com, www.babajiashram.org.
• Evening Aarati, Haidakhandi Universal Ashram, 6-7pm. Chanting in Sanskirt and Hindi. All are welcome. 256-4108, firstname.lastname@example.org, www.babajiashram.org
• Sunday masses at Nada Hermitage 9-10am, 256-4778
• Sunday Service Crestone Baptist Church, 10am-noon
• AA meeting (open, discussion), Crestone Town Hall, Alder St. north of Galena Ave, 7pm
• Drop in Meditation at Choying Dzong (Sitting and Walking), 2281 Happy Day OL, 10am – 1pm
• Al-Anon meeting, Little Shepherd Church, Alder St. north of Galena Ave., 1pm
• Continuing Ashtanga Yoga, Mysore Style Shakti Sharanam, 5-6:45pm by donation, shaktisharanam.com, 256-5668
• NA meeting (open), Little Shepherd Church, Alder St. north of Galena Ave., 7:30pm
• Yoga Fundamentals & Refinments, Shakti Sharanam, 8:30- 10am by donation, shaktisharanam.com, 256-5668
• AA meeting (open, Book Study) Crestone Baptist Church, Rd. T west of the kiosk, noon
• Continuing Ashtanga Yoga, Mysore Style Shakti Sharanam, 5pm-6:45pm, by donation, shaktisharanam.com, 256-5668
• NA meeting (open, Step Study), Little Shepherd Church, Alder St. north of Galena Ave., 9am
• Feel Free Ministries free meal, noon-4pm, Little Shepherd Community Center